Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Ethical Standards for Notes

Dear Professor, I audited 490 when I was first at university, I think this was last millennium, and the content of the course was very scary, even perhaps driving me delusional. It seemed to set a standard where I would never earn a philosophy degree no matter what I did. With that vision in mind I decided to save 490 for later, with the goal of enjoying my classes as much as possible, feeling in principle but not actually hopeless about my degree. Yet, this seemed to be against your advice at the time, so I became deeply conflicted and scared to seek more advice which might dash my hopes of receiving an award for my education. Since then I have finally recently found some small amount of courage--it took me 20 years---to consider what it means to take and pass 490, and this has given me some paranoid feelings that msybe no one ever passes the course and philosophy majors are assumed absolutely worthless and semantical even for publishing books. At this point it is not only paranoia, but fruatration that I cannot pass some special standard oriented towards assuring that I individually can't graduate. But it seems to me this is based on bias, because virtually all my grades are A's and B's and I think I can pass all my science courses eventually. So, I sm lwft feeling paranoid again that maybe I can pass, which would mean eventually graduating, but I am left with a terrible feeling that 490 will still be very challenging, maybe more challenging than in 1999. So, I have tried to develop a web of reasoning that explains what I am supposed to understand for the course, and it has seemed like a very extensive limited case that students normally can't complete. So, I thought on one hand students can't complete the work, but on the other hand there may be a way to pass. So, I have tried to understand the course as much as possible based on that experience I had years ago, because I still want to enjoy my college experience. So, I appreciate as much as possible that you have years of smazing experience which gives you soecial exposure to every possible perspective on philosophy, so that seems like a condition not everyone has the situation to experience, snd I've tried to see the course in as clear a light as I can, obviously with the goal of graduating because I am to enjoy my coursework and make the available use of it which I've always been told is graduation. So, now I have attempted to understand the structure of 490 far and above its ordinary usefulness. I understand so far as I can it may help prepare for graduate school and learn post-formal (real-world) approaches, it may help with calculus, the greatest humility, Christian virtue, and understanding of philosophical virtues. Although by this point it may seem like I have some understanding of the general requirements for passing 490, I am also a terrible actor with almost no real personality. So, in spite of my general understanding, I still feel hopeless. Here is the sense I have I arrived at just recently of the understanding that may be had in 490, other than real-world maturity, Christian virtues, preparation for graduate school, and learning about Platonism and such:

Supposedly

-->

Actually, Wow!

-->

Hard-working argument

-->

Engineering

-->

I can try

-->

Skepticism

-->

Genuineness

-->

Hypothetical

-->

Wise?

-->

Qualified?

-->

Mortality?

-->

Contextualized?

-->

Significant?

-->

Purposeful?

-->

Confidence?

-->

Sophisticate?

-->

Virtuous?

-->

Categorical?

-->

Predictable?

-->

Ever good?

-->

Good person?

-->

Virtuous person?

-->

Character?

-->

Good character?

-->

Fictional virtue?

-->

Genuine virtue?

-->

Good virtue?

-->

Excellent virtue?

-->

Excellence sui generis?

-->

Ethical character?

-->

Ethical choice?

-->

Genuine person?

-->

Genuine truth?

-->

Sincere character?

-->

Sincerity as an idea?

-->

Affirmative character?

-->

(Optimistic) Substantial imagination?

-->

(Optimistic) Ethical imagination?

-->

(Optimistic) Ethical sincerity?

-->

(Optimistic) Ethical character?

-->

(Optimistic) Ethical humanism?

-->

Categorical sincerity?

-->

Sincere virtue?

-->

Gifted virtue?

-->

Universal Virtuousness?

-->

Model of virtue?

-->

Goodness?

-->

Doubt?

-->

Skepticism again?

-->

Sin?

-->

Intellectual?

-->

Knowledge?

-->

Ethical knowledge?

-->

Meaninglessness?

-->

Meaning?

-->

Meaningful virtue?

-->

Question of virtue?

-->

Politicsl / psychological questions?

-->

Separately, good (ethical, meaningful) strategy?

-->

General knowability?

-->

Graceful character?

-->

Genuineness of virtue?

-->

Motivation at all?

-->

Equality?

-->

Goodness or superiority?

-->

Evil bargains?

-->

Are the bargains evil?

-->

Control?

-->

Insincerity?

-->

Whatness?

-->

Affirmation of virtue?

-->

Degree of virtue?

-->

Good and evil?

-->

Lawfulness (willingness to avoid criminality)?

-->

Commitment to virtue (resources)?

-->

Constructivism?

-->

Deconstruction?

-->

Results?

-->

Belief?

-->

Opinions?

-->

What acrually makes sense?

-->

Lucky / unlucky?

-->

Historical luck?

-->

Initiation of some kind?

-->

Genuine leather kind of stuff.

-->

Simple virtue.

-->

Avoid thinking.

-->

Meditate, empty mind.

-->

Lead by example.

-->

Too much drugs

-->

Soulless feeling

-->

Criminal mindset (poor, suffering, disingenuous)

-->

Forgiveness.

-->

Symbols

-->

Beginning of education ...?

-->

Now, let's say I get through all this, how do I pass Philosophy 490?



No comments: