Sunday, February 14, 2016

The "Big 5" personality traits according to psychologists, and according to me

These are the Big 5 personality traits according to psychologists (I will add mine later on...)

1. Extroversion:

Extroversion is characterized by excitability, sociability, talkativeness, assertiveness and high amounts of emotional expressiveness. People who are high in extroversion are outgoing and tend to gain energy in social situations. People who are low in extroversion (or introverted) tend to be more reserved and have to expend energy in social settings.

2. Agreeableness:

This personality dimension includes attributes such as trust, altruism, kindness, affection and otherprosocial behaviors. People who are high in agreeableness tend to be more cooperative while those low in this trait tend to be more competitive and even manipulative.

3. Conscientiousness:

Standard features of this dimension include high levels of thoughtfulness, with good impulse control and goal-directed behaviors. Those high on conscientiousness tend to be organized and mindful of details.

4. Neuroticism:

Neuroticism is a trait characterized by sadness, moodiness and emotional instability. Individuals who are high in this trait tend to experience mood swings, anxiety, moodiness, irritability and sadness. Those low in this trait tend to be more stable and emotionally resilient.

5. Openness:

This trait features characteristics such as imagination and insight, and those high in this trait also tend to have a broad range of interests. People who are high in this trait tend to be more adventurous and creative. People low in this trait are often much more traditional and may struggle with abstract thinking.
On a ten point scale, I give myself:
1 / 10 Extroversion. I'm almost 100% introvert according to Meyers-Briggs (at least in high school).
5.5 / 10 Agreeableness. I will avoid conflicts on trips, but I'm not exactly an ebullient personality.
7 / 10 Conscientiousness. I'm naturally a conscientious person, but my schizophrenia makes me lack some of the traits like 100% organization and 100% good will. Sometimes I think that if I were a wizard I'd be on the very good side of neutral, rather than the lawful good. But a witch once told me I had the darkest aura she had ever seen. So, apparently, I'm all over the board. For some reason my specific parents instilled in me a strong sense of lawful goodness that I appreciate a lot.
6 / 10 Neuroticism because I'm schizophrenic, although remarkably rational (I think). I can resist banging my head against a wall virtually all the time.
8 / 10 for Openness. I'm very open to new ideas, creative, and with a broad range of interests. However, I'm not as adventure-loving as some people (maybe its my age of 33), and am not always thought of as a creative personality. I argue that some creative personalities are not in fact creative, but that's probably not completely true. The real examples are real examples, but sometimes people are mistaken on who they are. I give myself a lot of points for artistic genius (people compliment me all the time), but I admit I'm not as productive as some professional artists.

My "Big 5" Realist Personality Assessment:

1. Empathy.

2. Fear.

3. Indulgence.

4. Expressiveness.

5. Bitterness.


I give myself the following points in this system:

6 / 10 empathy, I used to be a 7 / 10 at least towards babies. Now my heart feels sort of cold. Neuroticism has contributed to this. But I keep a stuffed animal for company, that I love a lot. I cried when I saw the movie where an actor playing Van Gogh visits his own artwork in a museum. Sort of selfish, but loving, is how I've become.

7 / 10 fear. I'm paranoid, but I see all of my fears as being irrational. It's under control with medication. I don't have many delusions about the world, except that I have no way of judging how sane our world leaders are. I guess they're super-sane, but there are still risks (which might just be horrible temptations to them) so I'm not very neurotic that way. But I still have irrational fears that I put in a different box than the rest of my life.

6/10 indulgence. I don't have sex, but I do eat chocolate frequently. I have cut out most of the meat and soda.

2.5 / 10 expressiveness. I look more expressive with a beard, if that gives you any idea. I have been told I have poor affect, like it's a disease. I think it's just limited personality. People with a lot of personality take it for granted, and think it's normal. But some people just don't have personality. I'm one of them. I'm all about influence, 0 about people who don't have influence. You could say this is neurotic, but I'm an introvert, so influence means something very different to me. It's about the capacity for significance, written and symbolic significance. Sometimes I think all expression should be done with the soul. So, I have a spiritual outlook on expression. I expect people to be telepathic, and also moderately intuitive. And yet, my perceptions are largely a view of the physical world. This leads to frustrations.

6 / 10 bitterness. My life is bittersweet in a kind of superficial way. I indulge emotional bitterness as a way of having a hard edge in my life. Bitterness, like chocolate or irony is an important intellectual tool that prevents embarrassment from creeping in. But, it could be that I'm a very sweet person in a very bitter place in my whole existence, and my life is really sweet compared to many things I find around me. The average old woman looks at least two shades more bitter than me, but this could be an illusion.

No comments: